Sunday, February 20, 2011

'Saturday Gaming Results' and 'Stevo likes 'em naked'



The Battle Barn is having a whopping, humongous, 2500pts. tournament in March.  This will be the biggest tournament, points-wise, that I have ever played in. It's actually quite daunting. Each round will have a 3 hour time limit, meaning by days end, we should see about eleven hours of gaming. uhhhh!

About now is the time that everyone starts building test lists and practicing for the big event. I got to play test everything my list today against my good friend The Griz, and got to try out my new unit that I always wanted to try, The 'Naked' Nob unit. First I will give you my list:
   
   HQ   

 Thrakka   

 Big Mek -Kustom Force field, Power Klaw, Cybork Body 

   ELITES   
 15 Lootas   
 15 Lootas   

 10 Nobs    -       Waaagh!! Banner, Painboy, Power Klaw ,Stikkbombz 
                  Battlewagon-       Deffrolla ,Red Paint ,2 X Big Shoota, Amour Plates 
 TROOPS 
   7 Nobs Bikers- Cybork Bodies, 4 Power Klaws,  2 Big Choppas ,Painboy 2, Combi-Skorchas,  2 bosspoles,  Waaagh!!! Banner   

 18 orks nob Pk Bosspole   

 18 orks nob Pk Bosspole   

 11 grots   

 FAST ATTACK  
 2 Deffkoptas-  2 TL Rokkit Launcha,       2 Buzzsaws   

 HEAVY SUPPORT   

BattleWagon- Deffrolla,  2 Big Shootas ,Red Paint  

 BattleWagon- Deffrolla, 2 Big Shootas, Red Paint     

            Total-2499
The Result of the game was a solid ork win. We played  pitched battle, Sieze Ground (5 objectives). We called the game at the bottom of the 5th turn because Griz only had 3 models left on the board and I easily held two objectives. Don't be fooled by the end of the match results though, the battle was very close. Had a few key rolls went different, the game could have easily went the other way. One of the many highlights of the game was Thrakka. After calling the Waaagh! and killing a Death Company Dred, he was counter charged by The Sanguinor, a Libriain, the Super captain, and 20 Assault marines and didn't take a single wound!!! Waaagh!!! baby. Waaagh!!!


But the Real reason  for this post was to talk about my new favorite unit...
THE 'NAKED' NOBS!!!

Now to be honest, I had my doubts. The concept of running Naked Nobs is not that you run them with absolutely nothing, but that you run them with the bare essentials, usually painboy, bosspole, waaagh banner, and 1 PK. This way you get a powerful unit at a bargain price The counter strategy to this is running Nobs uber decked out with different equipment in order to take advantage of wound allocation. The Nob biker unit list above is a great example of this strategy. Of course, the down side to this strategy is that things get expensive quickly. For a comparison, the nob biker unit runs about 560pts, where as, the 'Naked' Nobs come in at aprox.280pts.   

Like I said, I had my doubts. I've got my codex pretty well figured out, and I am, by nature, resistant to change. I had to remind myself that this is a horrible mind-set for a gamer to have and after a friend reminded me about 'Naked Nobs', i figuired it was time I gave them a try. I actually expected to play a couple of games with them, get mad, and put them back on my  shelf. The results......

They did AMAZING!!!!. Them and the attached big Mek killed the following, in order......
10 man Death Company
Master of the Reclusiarch
10 man Assault Squad
The Sanguinor
And politely walked a 6 man Assault Squad off the back edge for the win.

And the crazy thing is, I lost maybe half of them. Holy Crap, where have you been all my life? I'm so impressed with this unit that I'm gonna try to squeeze it into my normal 2000pts.  Now I many be jumping the gun a bit, and they may do horrible, but for now. They are here to stay.




No comments:

Post a Comment